Today happens to be one of our favorite days of the year: National Fun at Work Day. Here are some of our favorite tips to embrace the spirit of F.A.W.D every day. Because there are easy ways to stay happy and healthy at the office year round.
- That bowl of candy won’t be as tempting if you keep healthy snacks at your desk. Opt for fruit, granola bars and raw nuts to curb your midday hunger pangs.
- Taking the elevator is acceptable on a Monday, but try to take the stairs as often as you can. If you work in a high-rise, we don’t expect you to climb to the 50th floor. Get off the elevator a few floors early and hit the stairs.
- If you sit at your desk most of the day (consider yourself lucky if you don’t!), try to get up and walk around at least once per hour.
- “Walk the talk” and schedule walking meetings instead of the typical conference room meetings. If you don’t need audio/visual, go outside and burn some calories while you work. If you need to take notes, bring along a small notepad or your smartphone.
- That mid-afternoon lull, often disguised as a craving for chocolate, might mean you’re dehydrated. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to avoid the afternoon crash.
- Stand as much as you can — it burns more calories than sitting! If you take a call in a conference room, put the call on speaker and get some steps in while you talk.
- Get enough sleep. While this shouldn’t happen at the office, lack of sleep certainly impacts you while you’re there. When you’re tired, your will power is weaker and you’re more susceptible to give into food cravings during the day. Plus, sleeping more = dreaming more!